Sunday 27 November 2011

Chicken - Hanoi style

Good morning!

It's 12:21am here in Hanoi and after a short sleep my body is telling me there isn't going to be any more anytime soon.

Mulder is peacefully sleeping away (well jell) and I wish I was too.....

Our first experience of Hanoi has been interesting.

Having arrived and found our room we chilled for a bit and then put into action operation 'stay awake'. Having roamed the many (and confusing) streets of the city we settled for our first drink in the infamous 'kangaroo bar'. - a great little place recommended in the Lonely Planet for frog racing and darts (none of which I could see though their hospitality was lovely as we chatted with an American called Chris about all things 'Top Gear' and rather unsurprisingly a nod from him as to how much he loved Faulty Towers).

Now the streets of Hanoi are, shall we say eventful. The pavements are covered (and I do mean covered) with parked mopeds so you practically have to walk in the road most of the time to fave even more of the things!

Families pile on to them including two year olds sit in the front of them as their parents weave uncautiously in and out of anything in their path (which includeds Mulder and I).

To cross the roads here (and you need to every few
minutes) one has to simply (not the sarcasm of the use of 'simply'please) walk out into the rad directly infront of the mopeds and cars and weave your own way through the onslaught of traffic and hope they see you.

I know Mulder wants to take a Tuk Tuk today though I admit unless the local pharmacy has a good stock of tenna lady I will be even more reluctant as I know I am going to pee my
pants with the experience. - I mean walking is one thin. You are in charge of there, but the Tuk Tuks here come evenore perilously close to almost certain collision.....!!!

Today once we are up we will do some site seeing no doubt and take in a show at the famous Water Puppet theatre and book a boat tour of Halong Bay for later this week.

I might even try and buy some wooden flooring - an odd thing I know but as the mattresses here are so hard, I thought it would be nice to put something softer on mine so I have a chance of sleeping to tonight ;)

Photos to follow once we figure out a place to upload from.

Off to try and get a bit more sleep.

Scully :)

No comments:

Post a Comment